Oscar Night is here, tomorrow night, and I’m really excited. I explained our weird, vicarious night of glamour before, along with the first reviews of movies my husband and I had seen. Now we’ve finished viewing the final movie during our extended Oscar nominated viewing party. Philomena brought an end to our viewing parties.
Alas, all good things must come to an end; the ultimate party signifies the finality of it all. We’ve got a great menu planned. I’ll be locked in by the time the stars hit the red carpet on the E channel, and I’m thrilled Ellen is hosting. (Effin Artist: I like Ellen too. What’s not to like. I’ve seen her show like 20 times and she makes me smile all 20 times. That’s an art in this cynical day and age, believe me).
All in all, a good year for Oscar nominated features. (EA: Good but not great. Better than ‘The Artist’ year, but pales to Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Bennie Button, Frost/Nixon, et. al THAT was a great year). Our Oscar ballots are in. Here are my winners. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (Effin Artist: Let’s not kid ourselves, when it comes to skin care, ’80s trivia, music and Oscar movies, the Bride is anything but humble. Mine are duly noted as well so their will be no doubt come Monday who won… just saying…):
- The Bride: will win: 12 years a slave; should win: 12 years a slave
- EA: will win: Gravity; should win: American Hustle
- The Bride: will win: Steve McQueen; should win: David O Russell
- EA: will win: Alfonso Cuaron; should win: David O Russell (if twice in two years you get all four of your top actors nominated, you’re the best director… hands down).
- The Bride: will win: Matthew McConaughey; should win: Chiwetel Ejiofor
- EA: will win: Matthew McConaughey; should win: Leonardo DiCaprio, (but really Jimmy Dugan for Captain Phillips. He got robbed. Did you see him in this movie? Academy??? Hello???)
- The Bride: will win: Cate Blanchett; should win: Cate Blanchett or Meryl Streep (I know..I know, I should pick one or the other, but I can’t here. They were both amazing in their roles…IMHO!)
- EA: will win: Amy Adams; should win: Meryl Streep (this woman is a legend… just amazing)
Best Supporting Actor
- The Bride: will win: Jared Leto; should win: Jared Leto
- EA: no contest, Leto (though Jonah Hill deserves a surprising honorable mention).
Best Supporting Actress
- The Bride: will win: Lupita N’yong’o; should win: Jennifer Lawrence
- EA: Lawrence both
Best Original Screenplay
- The Bride: will win: Her; should win: Her
- EA: will win: American Hustle; should win: American Hustle (See above about all four top actors. It’s great, truly artistic writing to have such compelling characters).
Best Adapted Screenplay
- The Bride: will win: 12 Years a slave; should win: The Wolf of Wall Street
- EA: will win: 12 years a slave; should win: Philomena
- The Bride: will win: Frozen; should win: Frozen
- EA: Yeah, is there anyone else nominated?
Normally I don’t subscribe to the elitism that exists in Hollywood. I prefer less complicated, non-fussy ways to live my life, But one night a year, I allow myself the indulgence, and I admit I go overboard. I watch the red carpet arrivals and strain to view every last detail of the star (hoof to head as the hubby says … EA: I don’t think it really applies in this context dear…). I want to see the mani-cam, and I want the full 360 turn to view every angle of the gown. I want to know which stars Rachel Zoe styled this year.
Okay, you got me…this is my dirty little secret (really not much of a secret… we all know this about you. Come to the light!). Am I ashamed? You think I would be but I’m not. I allow this in my life for one day because I know after all of the awards have been given out, the red carpets rolled up and taken away I will wake up just a little more thankful for where I’m at in my life. Maybe I don’t walk the red carpet in Hollywood, but my husband rolls out the red carpet for me in many ways through out the day.
Be thankful for what you have in your life, embrace it all and if you indulge now and again in whatever you deem extraordinary don’t be ashamed of it. More than likely you deserve it.
If you wish to indulge a guilty pleasure, submit your favorite picks in the reply screen below! (Yeah, call your shot now. Monday, any “I knew it!” will be thoroughly mocked if not).
And if you missed this year’s nominated movies, well, plan ahead next time. We’ll be back again next year, that’s for sure!